Los Angeles, the beautiful, popular, coastal city in California, home to Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and other recognizable culture hot spots, offers plenty of opportunities to start a new career in line with one’s dreams as it’s home to some of the most prestigious career coaches in the U.S!
Ignite Your Potential is a team of expert, premier career coaches, located in both San Francisco and Los Angeles, who guide you through a collaborative process that results in an action plan to achieve your ideal job. We’ve compiled some expert tips that can help you take the next right-fit career move and start living a life of happiness and true engagement.
Define Your Dream Career or Career Goals, Even if You’re Already There
Sometimes, those looking for career coaching are executives, entrepreneurs, and other mid-to-high level professionals who aren’t necessarily starting from scratch but are looking for coaching to help discover what their next savvy move is in their career. Even if you’re at the height of your dream career, knowing your next steps, improving your process, continuing the upward trajectory to becoming the best you can be in your career, is part of every working professional’s core strategy, regardless of what phase in their career they are at.
If you’re looking to achieve your right-fit-career, start by sitting down and clearly writing what the most energizing aspects of your career have been, up to today. What does that tell you about your own career sweet spots? You’ll likely uncover aspects of career life that you desire more of and learn a few things about the areas of your career that are draining and could be outsourced. This gives you a way to begin forming some thoughts about what works for you and what doesn’t. This is one of the ways we can seed some career goals. At this point, begin to consider what you haven’t yet achieved, future milestones you want to work toward, or even ways that you can make your work process more efficient, effective, etc.
Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals
Your first step in chasing down your desired career is to clearly understand how to set S.M.A.R.T. goals. S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym that stands for:
- Specific- Your career goal should be specific, and as such, clearly outline your action plan. Ex. “I want to attain my product management certification by May 2020 by enrolling in an accredited course so that I may become a Product Manager.”
- Measurable- A timetable or frame of measurement that acts as an achievable milestone. Often you will be chunking down step-by-step, smaller goals that lead to the final measurable outcome. Ex. “I want to attain my certification by May 2020 and I will do so by carving out time to study three times a week.”
- Achievable- A specific skill set or achievement mentioned in your goal that can be accomplished. Ex. “I want to attain my PM certification.”
- Results-focused- An end destination that is, ultimately, why you want to achieve this goal in the first place. It’s essentially, what you’re working toward. Ex. “so that I may become a Product Manager.”
- Time-bound- Your S.M.A.R.T. goal should have some sort of timetable that helps keep you accountable on your path to your dream career. Ex. “PM certification by May 2020.”
Setting S.M.A.R.T. goals, which can be informed by what you learn in career coaching, is how you will get to your next-right-step role. Frequently referring to your S.M.A.R.T. goal, reminding yourself of it, immersing yourself in it, and keeping it ever present in your thoughts, actions, and decisions can help you attain it that much faster.
Hire a Reputable Career Coach
Now that you understand the S.M.A.R.T. goal concept, the next step to achieve your dream career in Los Angeles is to find a reputable LA career coach, someone who is educated on how people change and knowledgeable about the extensive range of careers people can go into. Our career coaches have researched the field and developed a unique process that allows you to understand both on a high level and on a concrete, practical level what careers are the best fit for who you are. Anyone can call themselves a career coach, yet we stand out because our coaches are highly trained and educated professionals with years of coaching experience and they can help you with accountability, motivation, collaborate on innovative strategies, and inspire you to stay on your path.
Ignite Your Potential is developed by Dr. Colleen Campbell. She has curated all of the coaches that work in our two centers, this way you can find the exact right career coach for you. Our coaches will help you succeed in your dream career in Los Angeles. We can help you be who you’re meant to be whether you are at the beginning of your journey, mid-career, or have just sold a business and are wondering what’s next, and will help you every step of the way. Contact us for a free consultation to start your career pathway!
Get in the Mindset
Moving toward achieving your ideal career means you need to get yourself ready for a life transition. With this in mind, it’s a fantastic idea to begin to organize other areas of your life, to be ready when you need to focus on the changeover to your right-fit career. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Taking Care of You- Refreshing your look, improving your self-care, getting your fitness on point, and other personal improvements can help you feel like you’re already what you aspire to be.
- Makeover Your Home- Organizing your home, cleaning it, creating more efficient space to move around in, getting rid of things that no longer serve you, and setting up a workspace where you can devote time to career coaching homework, can help you begin to imagine what your life will be like when you achieve your goals.
- Get Mentally Prepared- Mental preparation is an important step in getting in the right “groove” for your career. Being mentally prepared to attain your ideal job means all the healthy stuff, such as a good diet, exercise, plenty of sleep, etc. but it also means you’re taking the time to motivate yourself, inspire yourself, have a positive attitude and hopeful thoughts regarding your career, and casting out small fears that don’t serve you. A mind that’s ready to attain dreams aspires to think positive thoughts and has the unwavering belief that they can achieve them.
Ignite Your Potential not only provides high-touch career coaching in both the San Francisco and Los Angeles area, but they offer life-coaching as well. Whether you’re looking to find more success in your current career, are making a career change to align with your talents and strengths, or are in need of general career advice and guidance, Ignite Your Potential will encourage and motivate you to stay strong and focused on your end goals so you don’t fall victim to fear or self-sabotage. Contact us today, we know you can do this, and we’re ready to show you how!