Finding your dream job is hard. Understatement of the year, we know.
Not only are dream jobs hard to find, but you might not even know what your dream job is yet. Maybe you’re fresh out of school, just made a career change, or are simply unsure. Regardless, nothing about this process is easy, and you aren’t alone. Everyone is going through the same thing, and everyone needs help with it. If you’re everyone, then you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve put together a few tips and tricks to help you find your dream job. Whether you’re almost there or have some work to do, these tools will help you on your career path, and establish your goals.
Define Your Dream Job or Career Goals
Sometimes, those looking for career coaching are executives, entrepreneurs, and other mid-to-high level professionals who aren’t necessarily starting from scratch, but are looking for coaching to help them along in their career. Even if you’re at the height of your dream job, knowing your next steps, improving your process, continuing the upward trajectory to becoming the best you can be in your career is part of every working professional’s core strategy, regardless of what phase in their career they’re at.
If you’re looking to achieve your right-fit-career, start by writing down the most energizing aspects of your career to date. What does that tell you about your own career sweet spots? You’ll likely uncover aspects of career life that you desire more of, and learn a few things about the areas of your career that are draining. This gives you a way to form some thoughts around what works for you and what doesn’t. This is just one of the ways we can seed some career goals.
At this point, consider what you haven’t yet achieved, future milestones you want to work toward, or even ways that you can make your work process more efficient, effective.
Set S.M.A.R.T. Goals
Your first step in chasing down your dream job is to clearly understand how to set S.M.A.R.T. goals. S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym that stands for:
- Specific: Your career goal should be specific, and as such, clearly outline your action plan. Ex. “I want to attain my product management certification by May 2020 by enrolling in an accredited course so that I can become a Product Manager.”
- Measurable: A timetable or frame of measurement that acts as an achievable milestone. Often you will be chunking down step-by-step, smaller goals that lead to the final measurable outcome. Ex. “I want to attain my certification by May 2020 and I will do so by carving out time to study three times a week.”
- Achievable: A specific skill set or achievement mentioned in your goal that can be accomplished. Ex. “I want to attain my PM certification.”
- Results-focused: An end destination that is, ultimately, why you want to achieve this goal in the first place. It’s essentially, what you’re working toward. Ex. “so that I may become a Product Manager.
- Time-bound: Some sort of timetable that helps keep you accountable on your path to your dream job. E.g. “PM certification by May 2020.
Setting S.M.A.R.T. goals, which can be informed by what you learn in career coaching, is how you will get to your dream job. Frequently referring to your S.M.A.R.T. goal, reminding yourself of it, immersing yourself in it, and keeping it ever present in your thoughts, actions, and decisions can help you attain it much faster.
Hire a Reputable Career Coach
Now that you understand the S.M.A.R.T. goal concept, the next step to achieve your dream job is to find a reputable career coach: someone who is educated on how people change and knowledgeable about a wide range of careers. The best career coaches have researched the field and developed a unique process that allows you to understand both on a high level and on a concrete, practical level what careers are the best fit for who you are. Anyone can call themselves a career coach, but the best coaches are highly trained and educated professionals with years of coaching experience. They can help you with accountability, motivation, collaborate on innovative strategies, and inspire you to stay on your path.
Ignite Your Potential was developed by Dr. Colleen Campbell. She has curated all of the coaches that work in our two centers, this way you can find the exact right career coach for you. Our career coaches will help you succeed in finding or growing in your dream job. We can help you be who you’re meant to be. Whether you are at the beginning of your journey, mid-career, or have just sold a business and are wondering what’s next. We will help you every step of the way. Contact us for a free consultation to start your journey to your dream job.
Get in the Mindset
Achieving your dream job means getting yourself ready for a life transition.
With this in mind, it’s a fantastic idea to organize other areas of your life. Be ready when you need to focus on the changeover to your right-fit career. Here are a few ways to do that:
- Taking Care of You: Refreshing your look, improving your self-care, getting your fitness on point, and other personal improvements can help you feel like you’re already what you aspire to be.
- Get Mentally Prepared: Mental preparation is an important step to getting in the right “groove” for your career. Being mentally prepared to attain your dream job means doing all the healthy stuff. A good diet, exercise, plenty of sleep, etc. But, it also means taking the time to motivate and inspire yourself. A positive attitude and hopeful thoughts regarding your career, and casting out small fears that don’t serve you will help. A mind that’s ready to attain dreams aspires to think positive thoughts.
Ignite Your Potential not only provides high-touch career coaching in both the San Francisco and Los Angeles area. We offer life-coaching as well. Whether you’re looking to find more success in your current career, are making a career change to align with your talents and strengths, or are in need of general career advice and guidance, Ignite Your Potential will encourage and motivate you to stay strong and focused on your end goals so you don’t fall victim to fear or self-sabotage. Contact us today. We know you can do this, and we’re ready to show you how.