Business email etiquette is important for success. Most of us send and receive emails throughout the day on a daily basis. In both our personal and professional lives, emails play a big role. They are an important tool for staying connected with friends, family, colleagues, clients, and customers. For instance, many of us spend more time emailing than we do talking on our phones. With this in mind, we recommend you follow these 24 email etiquette tips to ensure your emails work for you rather than against you. Read more to improve your business email etiquette!
Business Email Etiquette Tips:
- Include a clear direct subject line
- Use a professional email address
- Be careful before hitting “Reply All”
- Include a signature block that clearly identifies who you are
- Try to use professional salutations
- Implement more exclamation points sparingly
- Try to be cautious with humor
- Know that people from different cultures speak and write differently – know your audience
- Reply to your emails – even if the email was not intended for you – within 24hrs if possible
- Proofread every message – don’t rely on spell checkers
- Add the email address last to avoid premature launching
- Double-check that you’ve selected the correct recipient
- Make sure to use standard fonts and formatting (use sentence case)
- Maintain a professional tone using positive language if possible
- Assume nothing is confidential
- Introduce yourself giving key information about who you are and who you represent.
- Double-check attachments
- Don’t use emojis
- Shorten URLs
- Use BCC appropriately
- Before forwarding, you need to think
- Set informative out-of-office replies
- Avoid abbreviations
- Respond to group emails appropriately
In conclusion, these 24 emaill etiquette tips point to the growing importance of emails in the post-pandemic work environment. Essentially, it amounts to paying attention and being mindful of every aspect of any professional communication. By abiding tips, you can get a better understanding of the nature of professional behavior and communication.
These tips will not only elevate your reputation but will also benefit other professionals who you may never actually meet. Your emailing style should project your professional personality to those who receive your emails and the supervisors who will review your work.
We at Ignite Your Potential understand the importance of maximizing communication skills to achieve your goals. Let us help you with every aspect of growing you and your business to reach its highest potential. We can give you the edge you need to succeed in this hyper-competitive world.
Check out our award-winning coaches at the Ignite Your Potential Centers who offer complimentary 25-minute phone sessions to help you with business email etiquette.
We are the #1 career coaches in San Francisco and Los Angeles. Let us show you how we earned that praise.