Maybe you’re brand new on your team, or maybe, you’ve been around for a while, but you really don’t know all that much about the people you work with. Either way, it’s time to pull out some get-to-know-you questions. First, because it’s more fun to work with people you feel bonded to, but second, it’s an excellent strategy to be connected to the people who see your work closely. You will all end up being part of a career network that will last your entire career. In other words, connecting with the people around you is both a better way to enjoy your work and also a more sophisticated career strategy. Throw a couple of these prompts out and get ready to bond with your colleagues on a whole new level.
1.What do you do at [Company] and when and where can we find synergy?
2.What’s a professional skill you’re currently working on?
3. What’s your go-to productivity trick?
4. Who has influenced you most when it comes to how you approach your work?
5. What was your first job?
A Little More Personal
6. If you could snap your fingers and become an expert in something what would it be?
7. If you could write a book about your life, what would the title be and why?
8. How do you turn things around when you’re having a bad day?
9. What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?
10. What’s something you’ve done, but will never do again?
Just for Fun
11. Are you a dog person or a cat person (or neither)?
12. Do you have a hidden talent? What is it?
13. If you could choose a name for yourself, what would it be?
14. If you could only eat one item for every meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
15. If you could only have three apps on your smartphone, which would you pick?
It can be tough to think of questions that go beyond, “What did you do this weekend?” or “It’s a little cold in here today, isn’t it?” Bookmark this list to foster a reputation as the co-worker who can always get an awesome conversation started.
Our award-winning coaches at the Ignite Your Potential Centers offer a complimentary 25-minute phone session to help you create a better team environment. We are the #1 career coaches in San Francisco and Los Angeles, let us show you how we earned that praise.